Friday 7 October 2011

Can anyone give me an example of religions changing as a result of a threat?

So far I've come up with Hinduism changing as a result of Islam being introduced by Mahmud of Ghazni in India and Confucianism evolving into Neo-Confucianism as a result of Buddhism being introduced.



I don't need you to give me a whole long answer, I can do the research myself, I just need some one or two more examples of this for an essay I'm writing for my AP World History class. Thanks in advance!Can anyone give me an example of religions changing as a result of a threat?I think the supreme example of a threat fundamentally changing a religion, is that of the Catholic Church's response to the Protestant Reformation.



Numerous councils was called by the church to try and refute Martin Luther's thesis; The Society of Jesus was established, and the Jesuits spread out all over Europe to try and bring those who had strayed, back into to folds of the church; the infamous Inquisition was established in Spain, to root out all heresy and heretics: this was probably the most terrible and cruel response to the Reformation.



I would hope the above would be all that you need. Good luck on your essay, and many thanks for being honest about why you are asking for an answer to your question. We, the users, appreciate it.



Again,



Good luck ,



Wotan
Can anyone give me an example of religions changing as a result of a threat?
um any conflict in history

great awakenings 1-4 where all results of perceived outside threats (enlightenment, trancendentalism, etc.)



both sides of the war on terrorism



Native American Ghost Dancers



someone mentioned the Catholic Reformation, thats a good one



lots more
Can anyone give me an example of religions changing as a result of a threat?
Muhammad gave conquered Jewish towns and villages the chance to convert to Islam. Most did. In one instance when the Jews refused all the adult males were killed and women and children enslaved
how about Ireland there you have Catholics and protestants. f