Wednesday 26 October 2011

Changing how you spell your name legally in another state?

I moved here from another state for school, I live here now for some years and i want to change my name legally, should I do it in this current state or do it back where I was from? Does that even matter? Where I was from, I only lived there for few years anyway.Changing how you spell your name legally in another state?Are you in your current state ONLY for school and you're going back to your previous state? You file in the state of your legal residence (where you live, work, and intend to remain).



If you've lived in your current state for several years - do you have that state driver's license and voter registration? If so, that's where you should file your name change. It matters in that you most likely have to state in your petition that you've been a resident for x number of months... so your current location is probably the best venue.