Friday 7 October 2011

With the law changing so much do you need a passport to go to Canda?

I am an American citizen. I know that they were requiring everyone to have a passport by 2008. But with the laws changing all the time, I was not sure. Thanks for your help.With the law changing so much do you need a passport to go to Canda?If you are driving to Canada all that you require is a government issued photo ID (your Drivers Licence) and your birth certificate. The only exception to this would be in the case where you were born outside of the US and then became a citizen. In this case you would also require your citizenship ID as well.



A passport is still the best form of ID however and is required if you were flying.



Effective the beginning of 2008 it was proposed to require a passport for all travel to the US. This was initially postponed to July, 2008 and has been further postponed to 2009 by Congress. There is a proposal for a form of ID similar to a passport but only from travel within North America which would cost less than a passport. I have not heard at what stage, if any, this is. In British Columbia, Canada they are testing a new Drivers Licence with citizenship data encoded on it which, it is hoped, will be acceptable for travel across the border instead of a passport. All of these are, at the present, in the testing stage and being reviewed by Homeland Security form what I have read or heard.
With the law changing so much do you need a passport to go to Canda?
You don't need the passport to go to Canada, but you need one to come back into the States. It was only if you were flying, but I believe as of Jan 08, you need one even if you're driving.
With the law changing so much do you need a passport to go to Canda?
It was actually the start of 2007, and yes you absolutely need a passport now. I travelled through the border last year. You are getting mixed answers, that's what I was told, and I got a passport. You may be able to get into Canada, but not out. So that would be pretty awful. Check your info on a trusted site.
I agree with Jeff H right above me, you do not.



I am taken a trip to Canada in April and many many people told me that I would need a passport while driving.



I did plenty of research just to be positive since I have not gotten a passport yet, and wouldn't mind saving the extra cash if I could. It was originally planned on January 31, 2008 that you would need a passport by land/sea, but it was post-poned until June 2008, and now all the way back to June 2009!



All you need is a government issued photo i.d. such as a driver's license, and a birth certificate
Yeah you need one to get into Canada now.
Yes, you need a passport to get into Canada and to get back into the USA
http://www.amcits.com/enter_canada.asp



at the moment you don't need on to enter Canada by land but it is returning to the states that may be of concern, it has been set or jan 08 but im not sure if they are inforcing it yet



check with US customs
yes