Friday 7 October 2011

Changing tire sizes of my 2007 G35S Sedan?

I am planning to get some all-season tires.

My OEM tire sizes are 225/50/18 (Front) %26amp; 245/45/18 (Rear)

The front tire size is very rare, with only Goodyear offering a set of tires of that size, which I'd rather not buy.

I am a newbie in this and would be very thankful for some advice on changing tire sizes. I am not planning to buy new rims. My current rims are 7.5''(F) and 8.5''(R).

Can I have a 225/45/18 (F) with a 245/45/18(R)? Size the car will be slightly lower in the front(hence the stagerring ratio would change slightly), will this affect the VDC in the car?



Alternatively, will a 235/50/18(F) and 255/45/18(R) be a better option?



Any other size which you guys can think of?Changing tire sizes of my 2007 G35S Sedan?The new Goodyear Eagle F1 All-Season is the only all-season tire available in both the 225/50R18 95Y and 245/45R18 100Y sizes. I'm not sure what gives you such reservations about this tire. Is it just because of the brand name???



The Eagle F1 AS is a very new tire that I have not had a chance to personally try yet but based on my examinations of the tire and other recent offerings by Goodyear that share the same pedigree this should be another first-class hit for them. A couple of years ago I couldn't say there was a single tire of theirs that I would recommend but recently they have become very serious indeed about making competitive tires again. As a professional working in the tire industry (but with no commercial or personal ties to Goodyear I should add) I would have no qualms about recommending the F1 for this application. You could change sizes and end up doing far worse while also taking the chance of screwing up some of the electronics in the driveline and braking system.



If you live where there is the possibility of real, serious snow I would suggest that even the best all-season tire ever made will be wholly inadequate for this car. I've driven G35's in just an inch or two of snow on all-season tires - Goodyear Eagle RSA's (yuck) and Bridgestone Turanza EL400-V's (better but still not great) and quite frankly while it was certainly entertaining it was also very scary. I would suggest instead keeping the OE Bridgestone RE050's for 3-season use and getting a set of Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25's on their own separate wheels for winter use (only option available in both sizes). Make sure to get new TPMS sensors with your new wheels. For the wheels I usually recommend ASA JH3's which are inexpensive, attractive and relatively simple to keep clean. You can have Tirerack.com price you out a package.



If you are dead-set against the F1's or the separate set of winter tires I would suggest contacting Infiniti or your Infiniti dealer for whether or not alternative sizes are allowable. Some manufacturers have severe restrictions on such things, others don't. With all the electronic doodads on today's cars you don't want to screw it up and be left holding the bill.



To conclude, I would note the 05-06' G35 Sedan had a 235/45R18 94W tire front and rear while the coupe used a 225/45R18 91W in the front. If alternative sizes are allowable the Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS Pole Position is my current favorite ultra-high performance all-season tire. Really quite an amazing tire.



ASE, Bridgestone/Firestone and Michelin certified Automotive Service Manager
Changing tire sizes of my 2007 G35S Sedan?
Bridgestone also offers a tire in that size 225/50/18 a Potenza REo5oA, It is quite a bit more expensive that the GY, but a great tire. The 225/45/18 is an option for the front, you would be approx 0.5%26quot; lower in the front.
  • bird
  • usb verbs cable
  •