Monday 17 October 2011

What do you think of the changing maturity of younger girls today?

When you look around, you see young girls dress in tiny shorts or mini skirts with shirts revealing plenty of skin. Is it just me or is this really happening. I look at these girls, and ask myself: Did I dress like that a couple of years ago? The age group I am focusing on is mainly 10-12 years. I want your opinions on what you think is influencing them, ranging from magazines to celebrities, and toys such as Bratz. This is for my Personal Interest Project (PIP) for my Society and Culture class. All opinions welcome!What do you think of the changing maturity of younger girls today?It's not just you, it's evident everywhere you go. I also agree with the other poster in terms of their level of maturity. People are getting adult bodies at an earlier age but their judgment and level of emotional maturity is actually far less than that of comparably aged kids forty years ago. There is a variable cornucopia of contributing factors but ultimately the fault lies with the parents. Children have always wanted to grow up faster than is prudent but I think todays parents are not telling their children %26quot;no%26quot; where yesterdays parents did.



There are a number of reasons for this:

1. The breakdown of the family - There are no longer strong role models and a secure, family structure where parents are working in accord and reinforcing the same rules and the same regulations. Parents who are divorced tend to be more focused on their own, individual lives than parents who are members of a nuclear family. They're worried about finding their own dates for the weekend, worried about finding love for themselves and worried about the fulfillment of dreams that were tossed to the wayside when they married and had children. This affords a great deal more freedom and a great less supervision to kids.



There is also the issue of guilt with some parents. The non custodial parent will sometimes feel that they don't get to spend enough time with their children and so when they do get to spend time with them, they let them do whatever they want to pacify them and avoid conflict.



2. Parents no longer want to be parents, they'd prefer to be friends. If only some parents could grasp the concept that their 12 year old doesn't need a 40 year old friend, they need a mother or a father, the world would be a better place.
What do you think of the changing maturity of younger girls today?
I honestly think it's a bit disgusting. I don't think it has anything to do with maturity- if anything, it seems that kids are acting more childish than they seemed to a long time ago. Many clothing brands push the %26quot;sexy%26quot; label, so it's hard to find clothes that are age appropriate. I mean, shorts short enough to show your behind when you're 10? It's just ridiculous. And if the parents didn't buy these clothes for the kids, the company wouldn't make money, and they would stop making it. It's making me wonder why parents aren't enforcing any sort of dress rules.

Kids are smarter than you might think, so this might not all be from the media- they might just want to grow up fast, or appear attractive. Maybe they have a teenage sibling that dresses this way, and look and think, %26quot;Oh, well, if all the older kids are wearing this, I want to fit in with them.%26quot; Older kids usually = cooler to younger ones.

Also, depending on schools, 11 and 12 year olds are probably beginning middle school- a time when fitting in is crucial. They don't want to stick out, so even if they don't like the clothes they may wear them.
What do you think of the changing maturity of younger girls today?
yeah i know what you mean, the area where i live i have noticed that teens just 3 years younger than me are completely different to how me and my friends/ peers were at that age, it seems that every year the maturity age rises, everyone is in a hurry to grow up and its sad.



but to be fair people a few years older than me probably think the same about my age group!
hi, im 14 and at school all i see around me is teenage girls dressing up with all make up n crap and all talking about boyfriends n stuff you may think thats ok, but its also happening around 12 years of age.



i know for a fact like half of the girls at school are not virgins. NOOO way, i always overhear conversations about who they %26quot;did it%26quot; with and that sorta stuff.



personally, im an outcast at school, just because i dont have girlfriends, attend parties, have underage sex and stuff. i thought me n my mates were the only form of teenage normality these days.



thats just my opinion anyway...

thanks for bringing up this topic, it feels good to express this matter.