Saturday 24 September 2011

How necessary do you think a changing table is for a nursery?

The room really isn't that big, a changing table can fit but it will be kind of packed with the glider, crib, daybed, dresser etc. If I dont get one is it practical to have to change the baby on the daybed? Is there some kind of waterproof padding for this? (and not the small one that comes in a diaper bag)How necessary do you think a changing table is for a nursery?i did the WHOLE thing when i got pregnant with my son... changing table all the little extras and stuff.... in the end... i RARELY used the changing table... trust me... when u have a newborn and u r just trying to make it through the day... the last thing u think about is changing the baby on a changing table... u just change it in the spot u r in.... floor couch bed crib or bassinet... it is not a necessity... they do have little mats at like toys r us and target walmart etc... that u can get that r inexpensive and they work just as well... good luck
How necessary do you think a changing table is for a nursery?
i have a changing table and i used it to change my girl maybe once. it's really useless because if you're sitting downstairs, you're not going to want to walk upstairs to the nursery to change her. I personally don't think you need a changing table.
How necessary do you think a changing table is for a nursery?
I NEVER used mine. Most diaper bags come with a foldable pad for changing diapers wherever you may be. You can also purchase a larger one for the home. I ended up using one of those foldable mats that kindergarteners take naps on. It was easy to clean and just the right size.
save your money and put it to your childs education
I agree. I don't have a changing table, but in my son's room, I have a tall chest of drawers and a long dresser. I bought a changing pad and a changing pad cover and set it on top of the dresser. I have not used it at all. Most of the time, my son and I are downstairs, so I'm not going to run upstairs to change him. I usually lay a blanket on my couch and change him there.



By all means, if you have no room for one, I wouldn't even waste the money. Most of the people that I know haven't ever used theirs.
I have had five children. My first had a changing table. The rest got changed wherever I happened to be. I just lay a towel or whatever is handy down. You really don't need a waterproof pad. Boys who squirt, squirt into your face not down on the pad.
it really isn't necessary, we have one and rarely ever used it for either of our little ones - there are waterproof pads galore, of all sizes, I usually change my son on the ottoman, it's fake leather, then I can sit while I do it. A changetable is probably the least important thing you want, and really, unless it's a set of drawers too, it's just a waste of space.

Good luck!
I have a changing table but I don't think it is absolutely necessary to have one. I use these disposable pads that are found in the pet isle. They are like the pads they use in the hospital, I buy them at wal-mart- the Hartz brand.
We decided not to buy a changing table because the baby's room is upstairs and we spend most of our time downstairs. We have a pack and play with a changing table attached downstairs and when we are upstairs at night we just change him in our room on our bed. So I think that changing him/her on a daybed would be fine.
I never used a changing table. I just laid a blanket down in the living room and changed her there. I think changing a baby on the floor or a bed or something is so much easier because the baby isn't laying sideways.
They are nice for a time, but not necessary. My son was 13 months old and we just started changing him on the floor or bed. They do make protective paddings that you can put underneath your child to catch any overflow http://www.amazon.com/90409-Contoured-Ch鈥?/a> and can even be put on a dresser. If you don't have that much room I would pass.
You can buy approximately twin size waterproof pads at Target and probably Wal Mart, but I can tell you from experience that a changing table is MUCH easier! For one thing, you won't have to bend over, and a changing table has shelves to store diapers, wipes, pads, ointment, erc., etc, etc. on. Is there another room you can put the daybed in for the time being?
i never ever used mine i used it to store crap on
I have 4 children and we have never had a changing table. In all honesty the nursery has always been upstairs and I just assume change them where it is convenient. So if I'm in our room, I change them on our bed or the floor, in the family room..same thing. I just keep a basket with the diaper things handy. (One down and one up.) And absolutely you can buy a larger waterproof pad. I bought one from babies r us, but if you wanted you could get a twin size waterproof mattress pad and maybe alter it to the size that suited you.
I have never used a changing table with my kids. We don't have a lot of room either so I just thought it to be unnecessary.
Yes get a changing table. Perferably with side rails and a belt that snaps to keep him from falling off. And with a drawr. The changing table will have all you need close by to clean up messes and freshen him/her up. Most of the changing tables come with a plastic coushin/pad. You can even buy a terry cloth cover at baby depot/burlington coat factory or babiesrus. But you can get a plastic mattress protector almost anywhere. For baby plastic mattress protectors check babiesrus, baby depot inside burlington coat factory, toysrus, target, etc. Good luck!
The changing table I had for my girls was part of their dresser and we used it whenever we were upstairs which was about twice a day. Now that they aren't in diapers anymore the changing table could be removed and now it is just a dresser!
The changing table i have IS a dresser--- its just shaped different on the top. If the room is small, swap out the dresser for a changing table/dresser combo. Or if your existing dresser is large enough they do make contoured foam pads that you can attach to the top of your dresser and it becomes a changing table. :-). It even has little straps like to strap them down so they can't 'roll off' if you walk away to get something.
when i got pregnant i told my husband we had to get a changing table!! he didnt want one and said why cant we use the bed. well we did get one and i use it all the time. yes theres time when you wont but what about when your baby has pooed all over do you wanna lay that on your bed??? if you hasve a changing table all you need is right there diapers wipes powder diaper rash cream. i used mine for storage of blankets and burp cloths too. i know it may be tight but i think it is worth it. they arent that exspensive maybe 100 or soo. all in all its up to you so good luck
i also don't have a change table....the only time i change the baby in his nursery is in the night when i bath him, and then i just use a changing pad on the floor
I used mine in the beginning. You could also buy a changing pad and place it on top of the dresser. This will help you save space.
I made a big deal about getting the pack n play with the changing table in it...I used it for maybe the first week. WHen I was a little sore. Now it is just easier to lay her on the floor and change her there. I have some of those really big pads. Huggies sells disposable ones (at Wal-Mart) that I throw in her diaper bag and then I have some reusable ones that I got from friends...I have no idea where to buy them. They don't sell them at my Wal-Mart here. Probably babies R us.



So it is really personal preference. If you aren't sure then you probably wouldn't use one. I bet if you get a C section it'll probably be harder to lean down to the floor to change your baby...but as far as my pregnancy went, since she was about a week old, the changing part of the PNP has been used to hold stacks of baby clothes.
I opted not to use a changing table with #2 because I didn't use it with #1. What I did do is buy the pad that you put on the changing table. It has slightly raised sides to help with the escaping and a belt if you really have a squirmer! Then you can lay it on whatever you want, like the daybed or the floor or the dresser top if you want. I had a small room too and the glider is important! Lose the changing table. The pad only costs about $20 and you can get colored covers for it and it's made of material you can wipe down when you have those messy incidents. It's stable unlike the little flimsy one for the diaper bag. I got mine at babies R us. Good luck!!